Easy-peasy… okay, easy-carroty. These roasted carrots with lime zest are the perfect side dish for everything!
Who doesn’t need a quick, delicious, healthy, festive-looking side dish right about now? Even though cooking is truly my favorite thing about all holidays… I love having a few tried-and-true, beautiful-to-look-at, healthy side dishes up my sleeve. This is a great one.
I’m a lightweight when it comes to wine. I love it but I find that when I drink wine while I’m cooking, inevitably I leave out ingredients, or I leave a whole dish in the fridge instead of serving it… stupid stuff like that… but this dish is easy enough that even us lightweights can drink and cook at the same time…
These roasted carrots with lime zest are beautiful. And they are sweet. And they have the tang of lime zest.
And just look how bright and pretty they are.
They are just perfect with everything!
So, here it is, Christmas Eve… this will take you 5 minutes to prep and then you won’t have to touch it while the pan roasts in the oven.
If you have leftover carrots, try this carrot soup tomorrow, just because soup is awesome on family days!
Happy holiday! Enjoy everything and everyone!
Sometimes we forget that simple recipes can be terrifically healthy:
Carrots help strengthen the organs in your body. They also are good for the eyes (this is their claim to fame) and they promote healthy digestion. Many moons ago, people used to make carrot tea to ward off measles and to prevent cancer. Carrots help detoxify the body and in today’s world of Chinese medicine, they are prescribed to ease constipation and tonsillitis.
Garlic is amazing in its antiviral and antibacterial capabilities. Garlic is actually a Chinese herb (Da Suan). It’s used to kill toxins and parasites and also to reduce swelling in the body. It’s what I call a great “A” herb: anesthetic, antibacterial, anti fungal, antioxidant, antiviral, etc…. I always keep several heads of garlic on hand in my kitchen. When I catch a cold, I blend up the cloves from a head of garlic along with some lemon, lime, and honey and I drink it… it knocks those germs to the curb!
- 1-1/4 lb baby carrots or full-size carrots cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 Tbs grass-fed butter or ghee, melted
- sea salt and black pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- zest of 2 limes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the carrots with the butter, garlic, chipotle chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the carrots on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven until they start to caramelize and get some brown spots (turn them over halfway through the cooking time).
- Remove from the oven and put on a pretty platter.
- Sprinkle lime all over them.